Gen 4 starter usage strategy guide (basic)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Voultronix, Sep 24, 2018.

Tags: Add Tags
?

Which topic should I do next

1. Which legend to pick with legend rank(with a tier rating chart)

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Gen 4 legend rankings

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Gen 4 pokemon to watch out for and add to your team

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. Voultronix

Voultronix Crazy Active Member

Pick your starter for Gen 4

Now I dont normally do this kind of thing but I figured it would be fun to start doing this with the release of every new generation (so once every 6 months :p) and I guess to improve other players knowledge and possibilities of certain Pokemon. Now this will be a very basic guide since Im not sure how many people will actually read this but I hope it helps those who do, Enjoy ! I will do more on Gen 4 Pokemon throughout the week depending on feedback!

Starters:
    [​IMG]

Torterra/Infernape/Empoleon

Torterra:
    Type:Grass/Ground
    Info: Torterra is a very strong Pokemon however its biggest weakness is 4X weak to ice , which can prove to be a big problem considering most water types have ice beam in their move-set. That being said Torterra has a decent attack and defense stat and can deal some serious physical damage as well as take it.
    Strategies: You can use choice band or left overs depending on your build . I would highly recommend rock polish if you want to last longer but just remember Torterra is not a sweeper but can be bulky and a good situational pick. Swords dance is also a good option too if you want to deal good damage. Torterra can also stop volt switcher but isnt a popular move on pokefind.
    Move-set
    best for pokefind:
    >Rock Polish
    >Woodhammer
    >Earthquake
    >Stone edge

Overall usefulness: 6/10 - slow and has a fairly common 4X weakness but does have good stab moves however if burned will be almost useless. (Very Situational)

Infernape:
    Type: Fire/Fighting
    Info:
    Infernape is a unique Pokemon with multiple uses which is up to you to decide. Infernape has good speed and attack/special attack and has access to tonnes of moves making it useful for most situations.
    Strategies: Infernape is unique in the sense that it can be a steal rocker lead or a special attacker as well as a strong physical attacker. In pokefind its probably best to use it as a physical attacker to take down flying types with stone edge as well as using fighting moves on dark and rock types such as Tyranitar and when your predicting an earthquake just switch out. Can use life orb / choice band a for the most efficient attacks or play it safe with left overs!
    Moveset best for pokefind:
    >Stone Edge
    >Close Combat
    >Flare Blitz
    >Swords Dance
    Overall usefulness:
    9/10 - Choice of special or physical attacker so most natures dont affect its usefulness (Good all round)

Empoleon:
    Type: Water/Steel
    Info:
    Empoleon has a lot of resistances which is perfect when building a dynamic team however it picks up the weakness to ground and neutral damage to fire which is not particularly good for a water team member but this doesn't rule it out as a viable option. Empoleon cant be poisoned which is awesome when going against a staller who uses a Chansey or Blissey or even an umbreon
    Strategies: Empoleon can be a defogger with a special attacking move-set which is a good strategy however without an opponent with sticky web or using steal rocks yourself using another Pokemon with rapid spin would be better. Empoleon is good as an offensive special attacker which can take a hit with all its resistances. Left overs is probably best for Empoleon as it could just recover any health lost to not very effective moves.
    Moveset best for pokefind:
    >Scald/Hydropump
    >Flash Cannon
    >Ice Beam
    >defog/stealth rock
    Overall usefulness:
    7/10 - a good pokemon overall with good resistances and moveset however in pokefind there is a lot of earthquake orientated pokemon so unfortunately it has a lot of pokemon too look out for. (Useful for a few situations)

Top Pick:
    1st :Infernape: Certainly an overall winner here with its usefulness as it can take out most Earthquakers it does have to worry about Dragonite and Salamance but with stone edge shouldn't be much of a problem.

Thanks for reading ! would like to do the following topics next:
    -Which legend to pick with legend rank(with a tier rating chart)
    -Gen 4 legend rankings
    -Gen 4 pokemon to watch out for and add to your team

Any feedback is welcome !

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Enraged_Tempest and Terrier_Paws like this.
  2. RainbowTeletubi

RainbowTeletubi Admin Staff Member Manager Staff Manager

Cool guide! Maybe add preffered items for Empoleon/Infernape like you did to torterra (im still picking Piplup cause I love it lol)

3. Voultronix

Done ;) thanks for the suggestion

4. TopDensity

TopDensity Active Member

Dang that’s a crazy helpful guide, thank you!

5. Voultronix

Ty man <3

6. Terrier_Paws

Terrier_Paws Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Awesome guide

Voultronix likes this.
  7. Enraged_Tempest

Enraged_Tempest New Member

This was extremely helpful, thank you so much for helping me realize how stupid I am for not choosing Chimchar xD
    Seriously though, this was great, keep it up!