Make a Battle Challenge Similar to Mt. Battle from the GameCube Pokemon Games

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BossKirby, Sep 16, 2017.

1. BossKirby

BossKirby New Member

I posted this in the Discord server earlier, but I completely forgot the forums existed. I'm posting it here too to get more attention and get more possible support.

SUGGESTION

Make a battle challenge consisting of 100 battles that can reward you with tokens for completing them. This can be a weekly challenge/quest that people can attempt to complete and earn tokens depending on their skill level (and patience).

RULES

Disclaimer: These rules can be changed to balance out the gameplay if necessary.

Player:

• The player must pick a team of six or less and only use those six during the challenge

• The player must defeat 10 trainers per area (for a total of 10 areas) to reach the checkpoint and claim their reward (explained later)

• If the player loses a battle, they must forfeit the challenge

• After winning a battle, the player’s Pokemon are restored to full health

• Once a checkpoint is reached, the player can choose to continue, retire, or end the challenge

• Retiring means that you’ll suspend you challenge and can continue at a later point
    Trainers:

• Trainers on Mt. Battle will have random, fully evolved Pokemon

• The Pokemon start of at level 50 and will increase by 5 levels per area (Area 2 has level 55, Area 3 has level 60, etc.)

• The only exception is battle 100, which will have level 100 Pokemon
    • The trainer’s Pokemon also get more competitively trained as the battles go on

• The trainer will start with 3 Pokemon and will increase by 1 every 3 areas (Area 4 will have 4 Pokemon, Area 7 will have 5 Pokemon, and Area 10 will have 6 Pokemon)

• Every 10th trainer will have an extra Pokemon on top of the amount other trainers have (except battle 100, since they would already have 6 Pokemon)
    • Trainers in Area 9 and above can randomly have legendaries to add to the challenge of the last 20 battles

• Trainers in Area 10 can have a chance of having 2 legendaries on their team, but have a higher chance of having a single legendary on their team

• Battle 100 should have 3 legendaries on their team

REWARD

Disclaimer (again): The rewards can also be changed to balance out the economy or to balance the risk-reward system if needed.

Every checkpoint you reach will reward you with a certain amount of tokens based on the numbered checkpoint. For instance, Checkpoint 1 will give you 1 token, Checkpoint 2 will give you 2 tokens, etc. This adds to a total of 55 tokens for completing all 100 battles. I also think there should be a first-time completion award for defeating 100 trainers in a row for the first time. I think it should be a premium item (like an Exp Share) or an egg (rare or epic). This relates to the reward you get in the GameCube games (Ho-Oh in Colosseum and the Johto starters in Gale of Darkness). As stated, this is only a one-time reward, so no one can grind Exp Shares or eggs. I figured you would need a big reward in order to get people to do the challenge in the first place. Although, there should be a repeat-completion reward as well, which could be just some extra tokens.

Side note: I originally had the initial reward set as 5 tokens per checkpoint reached, although I realized that the reward was the same while the challenge increased. The current reward balances that, but I thought I’d mentioned it for potential feedback on the reward system.

SETTING

While keeping the original setting of Mt. Battle from the original games would be nice, if the builders have any other ideas in mind, that would be cool to see. For reference, the first seven minutes of this video gives a good layout of what Mt. Battle looks like.

RISKS AND CHALLENGES

The implementation of this will be a challenge of its own, since it'll most likely be its own update. The whole challenge can be treated as a quest, in the sense that you battle one trainer to unlock the next place to go. However, if something this big were to be built, it probably wouldn’t fit on either Kyoto or Jataro. I propose that it should be on a different server, like during the Team Rocket quest. It seems like much, but it’s probably the only way it could work at the moment (unless it can be added into the gen 3 map). Also, I mentioned earlier that this should be a weekly challenge. This is due to the fact that people can just grind through the challenge multiple times in one sitting and can ruin the token economy. This shouldn’t be too hard to set up since the server already has daily challenges. The rewards can be given through the challenge system and the quest data can be reset when the next weeks arrives. I’m sure there are more problems to set this entire thing up, but these are the main issues I discovered.

CONCLUSION

Thank you for reading this suggestion! This idea came to me while being stuck with no power from Hurricane Irma, so I had a lot of time to plan out and tweak this idea. I know it's longer than your average suggestion, but I feel this addition will add more content for competitive players and help those who need to get more tokens. If you like the idea, feel free to give it support and spread the word. If you feel that something needs to change, respond below and I’ll try to respond as quickly as possible. Thanks again, and happy battling!

lego10001 and ChampTWKY like this.
  2. ChampTWKY

ChampTWKY New Member

This idea rocks! I Love the opportunity to battle more NPC Trainers that are competitively trained. Can we make this happen, like, now! :D Keep up the good suggestions! OMG I'm so super duper overly excited for this to be an addition to the game!

lego10001 and BossKirby like this.
  3. Voultronix

Voultronix Crazy Active Member

As much as I like the suggestion ... Its going to be almost impossible to implement and limit and doesnt sound worth the work to be completely honest. Although it could potentially be very rewarding it seems like a lot of work for only one game mode feature