Guide to EV's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pandalmation16, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandalmation16

pandalmation16 New Member

Thread by: Pandalmation16

Hai all! Since i've received so many questions about what Effort Values are and because it's a bit complicated for me to explain in-game, I decided to summarise all my knowledge about EV's in this thread. I hope this helps out any of you who had trouble understanding the basics of Effort Values.

~Panda

CONTENT
    • What EV's are
    • How to EV train your Pokemon
    • How and Where to check EV'S
    • How to fix/reduce EV'S
    • The importance of EV Training
    • Which EV's are recommended
    • EV Yield of All gen 1 & gen 2 pokemon
    ~

What are EV's?
    Each time you defeat a pokemon and reached the end of a battle, you and your pokemon will automatically gain battle experience which helps us to level up. However, there is one other valuable aspect which are gained through battling without you even realising it. These things are called Effort Values (EV's).

What are Effort Values you might ask? Effort Values are hidden attributes which give bonuses to an individual pokemon's stat. In other words, EV's helps to improve your pokemon's base stats making it stronger. There are 6 categories for EV's you can gain and those are: HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed. Your pokemon will gain a certain type of EV or different amount of EV's depending on the pokemon it recently defeated. Every pokemon of course have different EV yields.

For example, a Gengar has 3 special attack EV's. If you defeat a gengar, your pokemon will gain 3 Special Attack EV'S. A Chansey has 2 HP EV's so if you defeat a chansey, your pokemon will also gain 2 HP EV's. When it comes to EV Training, you can only have a total of 510 EV's which means you won't be able to maximise all the EV's shown. So keep that in mind. this means you would have to think wisely about which EV's you choose to train on your pokemon.
    [​IMG]

How and Where to Check EV's?
    For the players with no rank, you would have to visit Aunt Alma. She can be found in the pathway from Foretree to Amber. Right click on Aunt Alma and click the bone and select the pokemon you would like to check it's evs for 500 coins. For the players with Pro+ rank you can simply type in chat /evs and the EVs of the pokemon you would like to know will suddenly appear in chat.

How to Fix/Reduce EV's?

In order to properly EV train a pokemon, first you need to get rid of the unwanted EV's on that particular pokemon. To reduce a certain EV, you would need to feed the pokemon a certain berry too. For example, i have an Alakazam that has 100% ev but it is not properly EV trained. I would like to EV train my Alakazam on speed and special attack by maximising both EV's. Even though my Alakazam has 100% EV's, it doesn't have

252/252 Speed and Special Attack EV. Since I can no longer EV train it, i'll have to reduce all the unwanted EV's by buying berries from Aunt Alma and feeding it to the alakazam. Let's say my Alakazam have 30 attack EV's. Attack EV's are the EV's I don't want on my Alakazam so to reduce it's attack EVs, I'll have to buy 3 Kelpsy Berries and feed it. Every berry you feed on your pokemon will reduce 10 EV's so keep that in mind just so you wouldn’t have to be confused about it. Make sure that you don’t over feed it since a berry costs 4K coins and when it comes to fixing EV’s, it might cost a lot.

The Importance of EV Training

EV Training is really necessary for your pokemons when it comes to Competitive battling or winning tournaments. Other than that, EV training is not required but highly recommended. Even though EV training is not that necessary to some players because they don't do Competitive Battling or join in tournaments. EV's are still as important as IV's and Natures are on a pokemon. To gain the right EV's, you need to EV Train your pokemon properly. EV training helps you to achieve the EV's you would like on your pokemon. The purpose of EV training is to strengthen your pokemon's overall stats. If you have a lvl 100 pokemon that you feel isn't properly EV trained, once you EV trained it in the right stats you will start to see the big improvements.

Which EV's are recommended?
    Before you start EV Training, make sure that you already know which EV's are best for your pokemon. The easiest method to find out is to simply search your pokemon's base stats. The highest category base stat of a pokemon shown is usually the most essential to EV Train but this does not apply to all pokemons, only for most of them. For example, if you have a modest Alakazam, make sure that you train it’s EV’S on speed and special attack. Alakazam naturally has a high special attack and the nature "modest" makes it better which means we can agree on EV training it on Special Attack. Speed is another EV you would like to train on an Alakazam since it's the second highest stat owned by an alakazam right after special attack. If you are having a hard time to figure out which EV's are suitable to train on your pokemon, here are the links which might help you out.

Which EV's do Each Pokemon Give Out?

Here is a link to all of the EV's that gen 1 and gen 2 pokes gives out:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VUqLhpi4FH7nJpdmJSXKQjOhrTV1zadmPZ1_hEiO47w/edit

Here is a link to all of the EV's from every Gen!
    https://pokemondb.net/ev/all

~​

Well that is the end of this thread, I hope this teaches you a thing or two about EV's! If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments and I will give my best to answer them :3
    Also big credits to the people who made the links ;)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  2. ShootingFor3

ShootingFor3 Manager / Jedi Master Staff Member Manager Staff Manager Support Manager

This is incredible!!! Great work on making this post. It will help a lot of players and I'll definitely use this in the future. :D

3. kdrshv

kdrshv Active Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    just I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E!!

One little thing I want to add: update it with Gen 3 Pokemons already ;)

4. TopDensity

TopDensity Active Member

Wow this is so amazing, thank you so much for making it for the community and you’ll bet I’ll be using it!:)

5. dombatt1

dombatt1 Active Member

Thanks so much Panda! This post will definitely help out players who are new to Ev training! <3 :p And it is very nice and clean :D

6. ToastyTunes

ToastyTunes ToastyTunes

Great post pal! Nice guide to understanding EV's ;)

7. terminator_1000 - Reapz

terminator_1000 - Reapz Active Member

Great post! Very detailed and well explained! :D

8. TheDoctor420

TheDoctor420 Member

This is an awesome guide and it really helps out a lot of people!
    Thread by: Pandalmation16

Hai all! Since i've received so many questions about what Effort Values are and because it's a bit complicated for me to explain in-game, I decided to summarise all my knowledge about EV's in this thread. I hope this helps out any of you who had trouble understanding the basics of Effort Values.

~Panda

CONTENT
    • What EV's are
    • How to EV train your Pokemon
    • How and Where to check EV'S
    • How to fix/reduce EV'S
    • The importance of EV Training
    • Which EV's are recommended
    • EV Yield of All gen 1 & gen 2 pokemon
    ~

What are EV's?
    Each time you defeat a pokemon and reached the end of a battle, you and your pokemon will automatically gain battle experience which helps us to level up. However, there is one other valuable aspect which are gained through battling without you even realising it. These things are called Effort Values (EV's).

What are Effort Values you might ask? Effort Values are hidden attributes which give bonuses to an individual pokemon's stat. In other words, EV's helps to improve your pokemon's base stats making it stronger. There are 6 categories for EV's you can gain and those are: HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed. Your pokemon will gain a certain type of EV or different amount of EV's depending on the pokemon it recently defeated. Every pokemon of course have different EV yields.

For example, a Gengar has 3 special attack EV's. If you defeat a gengar, your pokemon will gain 3 Special Attack EV'S. A Chansey has 2 HP EV's so if you defeat a chansey, your pokemon will also gain 2 HP EV's. When it comes to EV Training, you can only have a total of 510 EV's which means you won't be able to maximise all the EV's shown. So keep that in mind. this means you would have to think wisely about which EV's you choose to train on your pokemon.
    [​IMG]

How and Where to Check EV's?
    For the players with no rank, you would have to visit Aunt Alma. She can be found in the pathway from Foretree to Amber. Right click on Aunt Alma and click the bone and select the pokemon you would like to check it's evs for 500 coins. For the players with Pro+ rank you can simply type in chat /evs and the EVs of the pokemon you would like to know will suddenly appear in chat.

How to Fix/Reduce EV's?

In order to properly EV train a pokemon, first you need to get rid of the unwanted EV's on that particular pokemon. To reduce a certain EV, you would need to feed the pokemon a certain berry too. For example, i have an Alakazam that has 100% ev but it is not properly EV trained. I would like to EV train my Alakazam on speed and special attack by maximising both EV's. Even though my Alakazam has 100% EV's, it doesn't have

252/252 Speed and Special Attack EV. Since I can no longer EV train it, i'll have to reduce all the unwanted EV's by buying berries from Aunt Alma and feeding it to the alakazam. Let's say my Alakazam have 30 attack EV's. Attack EV's are the EV's I don't want on my Alakazam so to reduce it's attack EVs, I'll have to buy 3 Kelpsy Berries and feed it. Every berry you feed on your pokemon will reduce 10 EV's so keep that in mind just so you wouldn’t have to be confused about it. Make sure that you don’t over feed it since a berry costs 4K coins and when it comes to fixing EV’s, it might cost a lot.

The Importance of EV Training

EV Training is really necessary for your pokemons when it comes to Competitive battling or winning tournaments. Other than that, EV training is not required but highly recommended. Even though EV training is not that necessary to some players because they don't do Competitive Battling or join in tournaments. EV's are still as important as IV's and Natures are on a pokemon. To gain the right EV's, you need to EV Train your pokemon properly. EV training helps you to achieve the EV's you would like on your pokemon. The purpose of EV training is to strengthen your pokemon's overall stats. If you have a lvl 100 pokemon that you feel isn't properly EV trained, once you EV trained it in the right stats you will start to see the big improvements.

Which EV's are recommended?
    Before you start EV Training, make sure that you already know which EV's are best for your pokemon. The easiest method to find out is to simply search your pokemon's base stats. The highest category base stat of a pokemon shown is usually the most essential to EV Train but this does not apply to all pokemons, only for most of them. For example, if you have a modest Alakazam, make sure that you train it’s EV’S on speed and special attack. Alakazam naturally has a high special attack and the nature "modest" makes it better which means we can agree on EV training it on Special Attack. Speed is another EV you would like to train on an Alakazam since it's the second highest stat owned by an alakazam right after special attack. If you are having a hard time to figure out which EV's are suitable to train on your pokemon, here are the links which might help you out.

Which EV's do Each Pokemon Give Out?

Here is a link to all of the EV's that gen 1 and gen 2 pokes gives out:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VUqLhpi4FH7nJpdmJSXKQjOhrTV1zadmPZ1_hEiO47w/edit

~​

Well that is the end of this thread, I hope this teaches you a thing or two about EV's! If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments and I will give my best to answer them :3
    Also big credits to the people who made the links ;)

[/QUOTE]

Undead88 likes this.
  9. HowDragon

HowDragon New Member

This is SOOOOOO helpful, I literally had no idea how anything worked.

Frankly I still think the whole concept will take a while to actually be familar with, but at least I know how the basics work now. Hats off for the simple explanation and thread design!

10. Starbucks

Starbucks New Member

I found this really helpful! thank you for this valuable information <3

11. KevinKimYT

KevinKimYT New Member

What an amazing thread, GREAT JOB !! :)

12. Terrier_Paws

Terrier_Paws Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thread Locked due to Necroposting