Battle Royale: Addressing the replay value

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MAXimumPain, Oct 31, 2017.

1. MAXimumPain

MAXimumPain New Member

Hi

Recently the battle royale gamemode was released. I love the concept and the uniqe features it provides. Such as items on the ground, the minimap and other objects. Really good work!
    But there is a problem

I dont feel motivated to play it. "Why" may you ask. Well its for a simpel reason; there are no way to progress in the gamemode. There are no ladder, no uppgrades, no cosmetics. Of course sometimes I feel motivated like "hey lets go for a battle royale match" but im never enough motivated to take on another match. We need something to progress on. The progressing part of a minigame is what gives it more replayability. To improve your small gear/stats permanently after each game. At this moment, I cant really see any way to progress throught the game, getting better starter odds, no kits, no perks, etc. This needs to be adressed. I loved the first game I played of battle royale but... I have no motivation to play it more. Here are two big suggestion to improve on that part, giving the comunity something to grind for, which rewards them.
    1. Perks

Perks will be small uppgrades that are active every game, that you can level up. There are different perks, all of them giving a small bonus. There will be 9 different levels inside each perk, each increasing a stats/multiplier. Here are some suggestions for perks.
    Critical Strike Perk - % of chance to deal doubble damage on hit

[​IMG]

This is how the GUI would look like. There are different level to advance throught, making the progress of the players grinding visible. Its a little bit like clash of clans; waking up and logging on and every day see the progress you have done on your base. Its almost the same with this, you can see the progress instead of a number saying "level 4". This method should be executed with all the other perks.
    Remember that the perks shouldnt have too big impact, but still a little bit. We have to make them balanced. Althought while this is just an example, there would be many perks, which adds even more to the replayability.

Perks ideas:

Critical strike - % of dealing doubble damage
    Dodge - % Of ignoring damage
    Adrenaline % Of reciving speed 2 on hit

2. Professions

A profession is like a perk. But it have a larger impact on the gameplay, which makes it more important. To make it balanced, you can only have one profession active at the same time.
    A profession is like a kit. It comes with passive and active abilities and maybe a little gear. You can only have 1 profession selected at the same time.

Every player will start with every profession, althought they can choose wich one they want to uppgrade. Each profession have 9 levels of uppgrade + 1 Prestige. The prestige will have a larger impact on the gameplay than other. Lets take a profession idea and call it ninja.

Proffession name: Ninja

Level 1 (Everybody has it): Recives speed 2 for 20 seconds upon landing
    Level 2 1% To deal doubble damage on hit
    Level 3 After 10 minutes, recives leather pants
    Level 4 If you have a stone sword, give it sharpness 1
    Level 5 Sneak for 2 seconds of jump boost, 4 second cooldown
    Level 6 20 % To recive speed 3 on kill
    Level 7 10% Strength 2 on kill
    Level 8 After 20 Minutes, recive a stone sword
    Level 9 Dropping from plane 50% faster then normal
    PRESTIGE: Speed 1 while sneaking

This is just 1 of many professions that could be implemented. I have many ideas for professions, and im sure you guys also!
    The menu should look somehow like this:

[​IMG]

Once again, you can clearly see the players progress.

3. Competitive system
    One of the big differences between pokemon world and battle royale, is that there are no ladder in battle royale. This makes it very hard to prove that (if you actually are) you are one of the best battle royale players on the server. Im unsure how, but could it be like seasons where you battle to recive a high competitive score? And after the end of the season, you recive reward in battle royale and other gamemodes, which could get you interested in those? Or maybe that you could choose what gamemode to get rewards in?

If you have read this far, then you clearly see that there is so many possibilities to increase the replay value of the battle royale gamemode. I really really want to see changes, because I dont want it to be a dead gamemode like (no offense I like pokemon murder but almost noone plays it) pokemon murder.
    Thank you for reading. Have a wonderful day

Your friend,
    MAX

2. Voultronix

Voultronix Crazy Active Member

I really want a drive too but within a month someone will be 5x better than the person starting out , thats a problem which we will hit in the future. Maybe cosmetics , I know isnt very exciting but it something

3. Ordaine

Ordaine Member

The main issue is there is really nothing custom about this game.
    When you get right down to it, it's basic minecraft pvp.
    In it's current state, it doesn't belong on a pokemon server.

4. BlueyFTW

BlueyFTW New Member

Yeah, i don't understand if this is a Pokemon server and if that 3 games are Pokemon based, so why shouldn't this one be?

5. Larzrum

Larzrum Member

I agree it's a game mode I'll try once. Since right now it's just a regular minecraft game and I don't play competitive pvp game modes. But maybe if they added where you were the Pokemon like in Pokewars and had special attacks to attack people. Then yes I can see me playing this game mode and even play it over and over again.

Far as for the suggestion of perks. I think it's not a good idea since it will make a lot of people better then the people starting out, Then people would not want to play the game. It wouldn't balance out the game play in my opinion.

6. MAXimumPain

MAXimumPain New Member

To be honest, I dont see that as an issue. This is an exighting new gamemode that is unique for all the servers I know about.

The main issue is (that I covered in the main thread)
    To make this even clearer; we need something to motivate us to play it. All computer games are build up in a way that it gives rewards which our brain like. Thats why we love computer games. This is why it needs to be adressed.

Adding only cosmetics would be very boring. I dont want to grind for a projectile trail or some flames when I kill someone. I want to grind to improve my character. My perks, My possibilities to have a little higher chance to sucseed in each match.

I know many of you guys are afraid to see these "OP" players that no one can tackle down. Thats why everyone start with all professions, but the upgrades shouldnt be too big.

Also note that the perks should be also very small uppgrades

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  7. TopDensity

TopDensity Active Member

I agree with some of the addons you pointed out but at the beginning you said how you need a way to determine how you progress through the game but in my opinion minigames aren't really supposed to have an 'end goal' because that is why people play it. Personally I think it is more of a thing like skyblock where you progress your island which is more of a progressive gamemode and PokeWorld because you are obviously on a journey to be the very best (like no one ever was). Anyway, I still respect your opinion and even enjoyed your opinion but just wanted to throw my take out there.

DaniNoc likes this.
  8. Voultronix

Voultronix Crazy Active Member

To all the people wanting to add some forms of pokemon ... they can't.

1) being a pokemon : that would require you to wear armour from the start and that wouldn't be as fun because finding armour is part of the fun.

2) adding pokemon in: we've never seen pokemon following us before so why would they now ? What good is a static pokemon in a fast paced pvp game mode.

9. ShootingFor3

ShootingFor3 Manager / Jedi Master Staff Member Manager Staff Manager Support Manager

Everybody is too busy talking about how there is no way to progress in the game mode or that there is no Pokemon in it. The real issue is that nobody has mentioned the game is in BETA meaning its not 100% out. Not everything is going to be announced right away about what we are adding to it. Just be patient and enjoy the game as its new. It will get better with the more updates and bug fixes.

10. Ordaine

Ordaine Member

Beta means the game is almost complete and has a few issues that need to be worked out. Hence opening it to the public.
    New updates would be cool, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that it is still vanilla pvp.
    Why would players want to join this when they can go to another server and play Skywars, Hunger games, etc.

There is nothing custom about this that catches the eye and makes me go "OH I HAVE TO PLAY THIS!"
    As I said, in it's current state, there is nothing special about it that is going to make it a long lasting game.
    It also doesn't really have a place on a pokemon based server.

P.s. - The plane thing is 100% goofy. Hopefully y'all have a build or something in mind versus moving armor stands that are diagonal.

upload_2017-11-1_15-59-16.png

11. ShootingFor3

ShootingFor3 Manager / Jedi Master Staff Member Manager Staff Manager Support Manager

The fact of the matter is, things are not out because its Beta. The plane is something that's going to be fixed and adjusted. Beta doesn't just mean its "almost out". It's barely been released so we released it in Beta so we could have it tested out so we know what needs fixing and adjusting. We have many more things that will be changed so judging a games quality when its in Beta isn't really fair. Yes the plane with armor stands seems dumb but thats only there for now. They are always planning new things. That could relate to the resource pack so who knows what else will be reskinned or added to the resource pack.

12. Ordaine

Ordaine Member

You are confusing Alpha testing with Beta testing lol.
    Either way, my entire point was unless major changes ARE made, it won't be a long lasting game.
    This is coming from someone that has designed and run gamemodes for YEARS.
    The plane is just a tiny aspect, when it comes right down to the core aspect of the game. It is vanilla minecraft pvp with swords and bows.
    A texture pack will only go so far. It needs that unique aspect. Even if it goes the guns route, that would be a unique thing that would help keep people.
    However just basic bows/swords hunger games style, it won't last long.
    Also the major issue of it being not pokemon related on a pokemon server.

One suggestion I do have would be to release solo play for beta as that would make me want to play a bit more.

13. terminator_1000 - Reapz

terminator_1000 - Reapz Active Member

I understand your point about it being basic Minecraft pvp with no relation to pokemon but the initial design for this was so that players wouldn't have to download a resource pack in order to play. Furthermore, as stated by Shooting it is still only in Beta and things will be added slowly into the game to give it repayable value. Personally, the competitiveness urges me on to play more and I'm sure that as time passes there will be more added to the game. If more is added it would be nice to see something like perks and skill trees but they have to be careful not to make it so unbalancing to the point where having certain perks gives ridiculous crit hit damage etc.

ShootingFor3 likes this.
  14. Ordaine

Ordaine Member

You kind of need custom packs these days, especially for how much you can customize via custom t-pack.
    Honestly I would suggest starter kits, something that gives some slight abilities either damage reduction, speed boost, etc.
    Commando, Scout, Sniper, etc.
    Starter weapon like a pocket knife - wooden sword.

I would definitely say to swing more towards guns and such, if not, try to go for magic abilities (in reference to pokemon abilities).
    Do pokemon similar to pokewars (just do heads/leather hats for the pokemon so armor isn't a variable unless it is for a specific kit I mentioned above).

Sorry I also feel the need to clarify what beta testing means.
    Beta testing means the game is nearly finished, minor features are being added as well as bugs and final kinks are being worked out.
    What y'all are currently describing would be Pre-Alpha testing or Alpha testing. The game is super basic with a lot of missing features/bear bones, a lot of features and updates have yet to be added.

So when you say the game is in "Beta" to someone like me that understands the aspects of a game's progress, it is confusing when you say a lot of features aren't added yet as that defeats the purpose of what a Beta is.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017